Here are the nominees for the 2018 animago AWARDS
The nominees for the 2018 animago AWARDS are in! An independent jury of experts sifted through nearly 900 submissions from 61 countries to find the final 36 nominees for the animago’s twelve categories.
The 2018 animago AWARDS will be handed out on 25th October 2018 during the animago CONFERENCE (25-26th October 2018) at Munich Gasteig Cultural Centre. The animago AWARD is an international competition aimed at creatives from all around the world who are invited to submit their work in the realms of 3D ANIMATION & STILL, VISUAL EFFECTS, VISUALIZATION and AR/VR/360°.
Here are the nominated projects of the animago AWARD 2018:
Best Feature Film (public voting)
- Avengers: Infinity War, Marvel Studios, Walt Disney Pictures, USA
- Jim Knopf und Lukas der Lokomotivführer, Rat Pack Filmproduktion, Malao Film, Studio Babelsberg, Warner Bros., Germany
- Ready Player One, Amblin Entertainment, De Line Pictures, Dune Entertainment, Farah Films & Management, Reliance Entertainment, Village Roadshow Pictures, Warner Bros., USA
- Conscious Existence, Marc Zimmermann, Felix Fahle, Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg, Germany
- Huxley, Exit Adventures, Sven Haeberlein, Germany
- LEGO News Show: Into the wild, fuel new media, Paul Schlichter, Germany for LEGO Group
- Albert Einstein, LotusArt, Alexander Beim, Germany
- Nööburgring, Piotr Tatar, Poland
- Rubikon, Christian Behrendt, Germany
Best Visual Effects
- Babylon Berlin, RISE | Visual Effects Studios, Germany for X-Filme
- Die VFX-Welten von Jim Knopf, Trixter, RISE | Visual EffectsStudios, Scanline VFX, Mackevision Medien Design, Chimney, Germany for Rat Pack, Warner Bros. and Malao Film
- Game of Thrones Season 7, Rodeo FX, Canada for HBO
Best Game Cinematic
- Hearth and Home, Blizzard Entertainment, Jeramiah Johnson, Taka Yasuda, David Satchwell, Jake Patton, USA
- Beyond Good & Evil 2 E3 2018 Trailer, Unit Image, Franche for Ubisoft Montpellier
- Overkill’s The Walking Dead – Grant, Goodbye Kansas Studios, Sweden for Starbreeze Studios & Overkill Software
Best Short Film
- Mecanic, Julia Baurens, Sofia Bernardo, Naïti Escot, Nicolas Jacomet, Ariane Lissajoux, Antoine Verney-Carron, ESMA, France
- Tweet-Tweet, CGF, Zhanna Bekmambetova, Russia
- The Bolt Connection, Nicolas Lebas, Claire Cartier, Mathilde Dourdy, Thibault Grunenberger, Maurine Lecerf, Shih-Hui Pan, Supinfocom Rubika, France
Best Advertising Production
- ASN Bank – Day Fly, Ambassadors VFX, Vincent Lammers, The Netherlands for ASN Bank
- EnBW – Guter Stoff, Sehsucht for Jung von Matt, EnBW, Germany
- 2018 FIFA World Cup Drone Film – Budweiser, Blacksmith, Jake Scott, USA for Budweiser
- Hybrids, Florian Brauch, Matthieu Pujol, Kim Tailhades, Yohan Thireau, Romain Thirion, MOPA, France
- The green bird, Pierre Perveyrie, Maximilien Bougeois, Marine Goalard, Irina Nguyen-Duc, Quentin Dubois, MOPA, France
- The Box, Bugbrain Institute for Animation, Dušan Kastelic, Mateja Starič, Slovenia
- Martin Luther – A most precise and nuanced look into the life of the man legend and visionary, Tumblehead Animation Studio, Magnus Igland Møller, Denmark
- Plastic Ocean, Fred & Farid New York, Laurent Leccia, Michael Hess, USA for Sea Shepherd
- Peta – Best friend, Mackevision Medien Design, Germany
Best Young Production (carries prize money contributed by DIGITAL PRODUCTION totaling €3,000)
- Hors Piste, Léo Brunel, Loris Cavalier, Camille Jalabert, Oscar Mallet, Ecole des Nouvelles Images, France
- Wild Love, Paul Autric, Quentin Camus, Maryka Laudet, Léa Georges, Zoé Sottiaux, Corentin Yvergniaux, Ecole des Nouvelles Images, France
- The Stained Club, Mélanie Lopez, Simon Boucly, Marie Ciesielski, Alice Jaunet, Chan Stéphie Peang, Béatrice Viguier, Supinfocom Rubika, France
Best Motion Design
- You Are Wanted / Season 2 Opener, Delirium Entertainment, Andy Bittner, Germany for PANTALEON Films
- The Division 2 – Der Untergang von Washington D.C, Antibody, Patrick Clair for Ubisoft, Germany
- The Unconquered, Juice, Michał Misiński, Polen for Instytut Pamięci Narodowej
- Mayday – Final Chapter, Grass Jelly Studio, Taiwan for Mayday, B’in Music
- La Noria, NightWheel Pictures, Carlos Baena, Spain
- Miazmat, Platige Image, Klaudiusz Wesolowski, Poalnd
The submitted works are viewed and evaluated by an independent jury of experts. Hamburg-based graphic designer and freelance editor Günter Hagedorn, who has managed the animago competition since it was founded 21 years ago, acts as head of the jury. This year’s jury members are the character animator and filmmaker Melanie Beissswenger (Happy Feet, Happy Feet 2, Iron Man 3), Alexander Bouquet, Chief Production Officer at the ad agency JUNG VON MATT, Prof. Thomas Gronert, Head of Department, Digital Film Design at Mediadesign Hochschule in Munich, Tobias Hager, Editor-in-Chief, DIGITAL PRODUCTION, the graphic & motion designer Elisa Krenz, Sarah Neuner, CEO at Liga 01, Tim Rau, Director Marketing Tranformation at 3DExcite, Tom Sporer, 3D Generalist and VFX Supervisor and Matthias Zabiegly, Senior 3D at Aixsponza.
This year’s guest jurors include Daniel Curio, Director of the Department of Film/Game policy and funding at the Bavarian State Chancellery and Jürgen Korbinian Enninger, Head of Munich’s Expert Team on Culture and the Creative Industries.
The animago CONFERENCE offers a programme of keynote addresses, lectures and workshops that serve to connect the creative community with an audience of international experts and film and media enthusiasts.
Sponsor partners of the 2018 animago AWARD & CONFERENCE:
Avid: Avid delivers the industry’s most open, innovative and comprehensive media platform connecting content creation with collaboration, asset protection, distribution and consumption, www.avid.com.
Chaos Group: Chaos Group is a worldwide leader in computer graphics. We create the technology that helps artists and designers create photoreal imagery and animation for design, television, and feature films. Our physically-based rendering and simulation software is used daily by top design studios, architectural firms, advertising agencies, and visual effects companies around the globe. Our research and development in cloud rendering, material scanning, and virtual reality is shaping the future of creative storytelling and digital design, www.chaosgroup.com.
Esri: Esri is the world’s leading software manufacturer of geo information systems (GIS). This technology uses in large part 3D, graphic data processing, visualization, animation and other multimedia resources, www.esri.com.
Insta LOD: Producer of the award-winning enterprise solution for automated data processing and improvement for CAD and 3D data www.InstaLOD.com
Maxon Computer: Manufacturer of high-end 3D modelling, animation and rendering software. Their Cinema 4D and BodyPaint 3D programmes have received multiple awards, www.maxon.net
NEC Display Solutions Europe: This globally active company currently holds the leading position in the “Display Market” and offers efficient and productive “Total Display Solutions”, www.nec-display-solutions.com.
Wacom: Leading manufacturer of pen tablets, interactive pen displays and digital interface solutions, www.wacom.com.
Funding partners are the Bavarian State Chancellery as well as the City of Munich’s Culture and Creative Industries Team.
The animago is organised by the German-language trade magazine DIGITAL PRODUCTION, www.digitalproduction.com. The publisher of DIGITAL PRODUCTION is DETAIL Business Information GmbH, www.detail-business-information.de.